How To Start A WordPress Website
the quick guide
Choose A Domain Name
Pick out a domain name for your new site. An example of a domain name is dinosaurstew.com or ilovepizza.com. You can also use a domain name with a different extension, like ilovepizza.org
Choose A WEB HOST
It’s like paying rent: in exchange for a monthly (or annual) payment, you get your very own space that you can make your home.
Which Hosting Plan Is Right For Me?
Just Starting Out?
The most basic plan is usually all you need (you can always upgrade later)!
- At Siteground, look for Managed WordPress hosting – StartUp or GrowBig (we like GrowBig for the staging capabilities, although you may not even need it if you are starting from scratch)
- At Flywheel, look for Managed WordPress hosting – Tiny plan
- At Kinsta, look for the Starter plan
Adding A Shop/Ecommmerce?
WordPress’s premier ecommerce plugin, WooCommerce, demands more resources than simple sites. Be prepared to spend more on web hosting, and you may outgrow your plan quickly depending on the amount of traffic you get and how robust your set up is.
- At Siteground, look for Managed WordPress hosting – GrowBig or GoGeek
- At Kinsta, you can begin with the Starter plan but be prepared to upgrade after launching!
Already Have A Website, Just Changing Hosts?
Consider things like: how much traffic your website gets each month, the bandwidth you require, the storage you require, etc.
If you aren’t sure what web host’s plan fits your needs best, get in touch with them and they can make a recommendation!
* indicates an affiliate link, meaning we are materially compensated for our referral. Click and order through our affiliate links–we greatly appreciate it (it helps keep the lights on and our coffee cups full!)!